How often do you take a bath? Like a fill-up-the-tub, get in, and relax type bath? Over the past few years, I’ve discovered that there are many benefits to taking baths, especially detox baths. Toxins are poisonous substances that we expose ourselves to on a daily basis from things like processed foods, pollution, cleaning products, and pesticides. These toxins have a negative affect on our health and can also make us feel pretty crummy. Detox baths are important because they help to flush out the toxins that we come in contact with daily. They are also relaxing and help to relieve stress. I try to take a detox bath at least three times a week and prefer to do it at night before bed. You may be wondering what exactly a detox bath entails, so here you go:
- Fill up a bath tub with hot water (this helps to sweat out toxins).
- Add 1/2 cup Epsom Bath Salts (recipe below).
- Stay in for about 40 minutes to an hour (this gives time to remove toxins and also allows your body to absorb minerals from the salts).
- Relax. Listen to an audiobook. Take some time for yourself.
Bath Salt Recipe
- 2 cups epsom salts
- 1/2 cup dried lavender buds (optional)
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
Mix all the ingredients together. Place in a jar for storage. When ready to take a bath, place 1/2 cup in your bath water.
- Add 10 drops Eucalyptus to help clear sinuses
- Add 10 drops of peppermint or rosemary to help relieve sore muscles
- Add 1/4 cup chamomile tea leaves to aide in relaxation
*Don’t feel like making bath salts for yourself? You can purchase the lavender bath salts pictured above through my Etsy shop!