Here are five reasons I love Mockingjay #2. If five reasons aren’t enough, check out Reel World Theology’s podcast about the movie in which I appear as a special guest. If you’re a fan of The Hunger Games series, it’s a must listen.
- The Ending: I’m starting here because I REALLY love the ending of this story. Many people hated Mockingjay in book form because of the ending, but I thought it was realistic and offered hope for the future. Seeing it on screen only solidified this for me. I also really loved the epilogue, but I almost always love epilogues.
- Book-to-Screen Accuracy: I like to think that I have very realistic expectations for movies that are adapted from books. I understand that changes often have to be made to make stories work on the big screen. With that being said, this movie followed the book almost exactly. I’m talking word for word quotes. I felt like this movie made the books scenes come to life and it was beautiful.
- President Snow: I’ve heard President Snow referred to as the “villain you love to hate.” He was definitely that for me. He is super creepy but there is just something about him that I love. I especially loved him in the greenhouse scene at the end.
- Peeta and Katniss: What can I say? I’m a romantic at heart. I love Peeta and Katniss together, but I also love that this story left me guessing who Katniss would choose until the very end.
- The Ambiguity: I’ve been learning lately that things are not always black and white. I like how Suzanne Collins portrayed this idea in her book. One of my favorite scenes from the book/movie was this final conversation between Plutarch and Katniss:
“Are you preparing for another war, Plutarch?” I ask.
“Oh, not now. Now we’re in a sweet period where everyone agrees that our recent horrors should never be repeated,” he says. “But collective thinking is usually short-lived. We’re fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction. Although who knows? Maybe this will be it, Katniss.”
Please, please share what you loved about this particular movie or the series in general!!