I often have people ask me how I use essential oils on a daily basis. After using them for over a year, I definitely incorporate them into many aspects of my life. Here is a rough outline of how I might use them throughout a typical day:
- Rub peppermint and wild orange in my hands and hold them up to my nose while breathing in deeply. This is a great way to wake up your senses.
- Start my diffuser (check out my essential oils section for diffuser blend suggestions).
- During/after my morning workout, I use a soothing blend (includes oils such as wintergreen, peppermint, helichrysum, blue chamomile) as needed for sore muscles.
- Add a few drops of peppermint in my shampoo
- Rub on homemade body butter (shea butter, almond oil, jojoba oil, and essential oils of my choice)
- Wash my face with homemade oil cleanser (castor oil, almond oil, lavender, and melaleuca)
- Use homemade oil serum as a moisturizer (jojoba oil, tamanu oil, frankincense, geranium, lavender, helichrysum, and melaleuca)
- Apply homemade (non-aluminum) deodorant (shea butter, coconut oil, arrowroot powder, baking soda, and lavender or patchouli)
- Add a few drops of lemon and/or grapefruit to a glass water bottle and drink.
- Wash my face using homemade oil cleanser
- Exfoliate 2-3 times a week using a bentonite clay/melaleuca mixture or a baking soda, honey, and lemon mixture
- Apply homemade face serum
- Start my diffuser in my bedroom. At night I like to diffuse lavender, Balance, and Serenity.
- Apply Lavender Sleepy Time Foot Rub to my feet. The recipe for this can be found here. (If you are having trouble sleeping, I HIGHLY recommend using this. It makes a big difference.) Want to try this but don’t have the time or ingredients? You can purchase it via my Etsy store.
- I keep an anti-anxiety roller ball in my nightstand for nights when I can’t sleep or have too much going through my mind. This is a mixture of fractionated coconut oil, a calming oil blend, and a grounding oil blend. I apply this to my feet and wrists as needed.
- For cleaning the house, I use homemade window and all purpose cleaner. You can find my window cleaner recipe here.
- For bug spray, I use a mixture of water, witch hazel, and a repellant essential oil blend.
- For a hand sanitizing spray, I use a mixture of aloe gel, water, and an immunity essential oil blend.
- For bug bites, I use a mixture of lavender, peppermint, and lemon in a roller ball with fractionated coconut oil.
- For migraines, I put a drop of grapefruit, marjoram, and lavender on my temples. I also put a drop of frankincense on the roof of my mouth. Lots of people use peppermint for headaches, but I have found that this makes mine worse.
I hope this gives you an idea of all the different ways you can use essential oils. Keep following along with me as I will be posting many more essential oil recipes in the coming months!