My husband and I recently bought a house in Greensboro, North Carolina. It is a bit of a fixer upper, but we love it. One unexpected joy in moving into our new home was discovering that we have a pear tree. Growing up, my grandmother had apple trees in her yard and I remember getting so excited when they were ripe and ready for the taking. We have already given away and/or eaten 50+ pears and there are still tons on the tree.
In efforts to use some of them up, I decided to make pear sauce (think apple sauce but with pears). It turned out great. My 10 month old especially loves it.
Slow Cooker Pear Sauce
- 12+ pears (3-3.5 lbs)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- pinch of salt
- 1/8-1/4 cup (depending on how sweet you like it) honey or maple syrup
- Peel, core, and chop pears
- Add remaining ingredients (water, lemon juice, spices, sweetener) and stir to cover pears.
- Cook in your slow cooker on high for 2-4 hours or until pears are soft.
- Use an immersion or regular blender to blend to your preferred consistency.